Sacramental Preparation for Baptized Children
Children receive a minimum of one year of instruction before receiving the sacrament of Reconciliation. Parents are encouraged to register their children at the beginning of first grade. Children will be assessed to gauge readiness to celebrate the sacrament in second grade.
A candidate must be at the age of discretion for sacramental preparation, seven years of age or above, and must meet the following requirements:
- Be baptized
- Be Catholic (children who have been baptized in another denomination must make a Profession of Faith)
- Have the ability to recognize the difference between right and wrong
- Have the capacity for sincere sorrow
- Be properly instructed
Confirmation and First Holy Communion
Children complete two consecutive years of preparation prior to receiving the sacraments of Confirmation and First Communion in third grade.
A candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Be baptized and not previously confirmed
- Must be Catholic (see above)
- Must be properly instructed
- Must be capable of renewing their Baptismal promises
- Must have previously been prepared for and received the Sacrament of Reconciliation
A candidate must also display an openness of heart through:
- Mass attendance
- Consistent attendance at formation sessions
- Participation in a Family Sacraments of Initiation Retreat
- Willingness to participate in community service
Sacramental Preparation is to be received in the Parish. Parents have a right and responsibility to be intimately involved in preparing their children for the Sacraments of Reconciliation, Confirmation and First Holy Communion. There are parent sessions throughout the year to engage, assist and encourage parents to grow in their understanding and appreciation of conversion. These sessions “raise awareness of the role and responsibilities of the family and provide skills for Christian parenting.”
Unbaptized children or children above third grade who seek sacraments, please contact Catie Weasler for more information.